Whether you have a pool or want to build one, a pool fence is one of the most important considerations. Pool fences are essential for the safety of your loved ones and a necessity for every pool. But what fence do you get? And do you install it yourself? There are so many pool fences on the market, and choosing the right one can be daunting.
Table of Contents
Pool Fencing: Professional Installation or DIY?
There are 6 factors to keep in mind when deciding on a pool fence.
1. Pool Fence Material
Pool fencing can come in a variety of materials. You can go with your preference and budget, but the top picks are usually mesh, wood, steel, and glass. Each material has benefits and drawbacks, so you want to consider all of them fully. Choose the material that best fits your budget, needs, and pool style.
You want to pick a fence that fits the style and design of your house and yard. You do not want something that will interfere with the ambiance. If you want a fence that matches, choose steel as it is durable and can be painted any color to match. If you have a laid back feel, then wood can help create a natural and country vibe. Glass fencing works if you want a less obtrusive look.
Materials and design vary in terms of cost, so this is a key factor in choosing a fence. Plan ahead for how much you want to spend. Be sure to include the materials and installation. DIY will be cheaper than having a professional come install the fence for you.
4. Removable or Permanent?
Whether you have a permanent or removable fence depends on preference and needs. If you have limited spacing, a removable fence allows you to create more space when needed. If you have kids, you will want a permanent fence for safety at all times.
Any fence needs to be properly installed in order to be effective. It may be cheaper to install the fence yourself, but if not done correctly, it can be a hazard. Having a professional installer do the job is more expensive but you can be assured the fence will keep your pool safe.
Every municipality has regulations and standards for pool fencing that you must adhere to. This is for safety as well as to avoid fines. There are regulations regarding fence height and whether self-latching gates are required. You also need to know about ground spacing and other fence spacing. Professionals can help make sure you get a fence that meets all requirements.
Why Go With Professional Installation?
With a qualified and trained professional, you can get a safe pool fence up in no time. But, it will be more expensive. Even with this downside, there are many pros to having your pool fence installed by a professional.
- Reputation: A professional will have the knowledge, skills, and reputation to get the job done professionally. You will get legitimate work that you can count on.
- Material: With a professional, you don’t have to worry about getting the materials or tools and they have access to the best quality materials.
- Authenticity: Pool fence installation is challenging, but with a company handling the installation for you, you get authenticity and peace of mind.
Why Do It Yourself?
There are a few advantages to installing a pool fence yourself.
- Costs: You will definitely save money with a DIY approach. But, you need to keep in mind that if you do not know what you are doing, the mistakes could be costly. A poorly installed pool fence will cost money to fix and compromise safety.
- Experience: Those with prior experience in construction and fencing may have the confidence to perform this task well. If this is the case, you save money and get a secure fence. Just be sure you know everything about the materials you plan to work with.
Whether you go with DIY or professional installation, what matters most is keeping your loved ones safe. If you have a pool, the decision to get a fence is already made, now you just need to pick the fence that best suits your needs.